Saturday, September 09, 2006

21st August - choosing a topic to lose myself in.

©DOC Te Papa Atawhai/R Cole


Sue Murray is a godsend. She is a flowing fountain of knowledge and connections, especially when I went to see her about my native wood pigeon (Kereru) research. She feels closely affiliated with the course, as she has had a lot to do with helping the previous years. It sounds like she got to know them fairly well, so fingers crossed we can hold her interest too. For a whole hour we talked about every angle imaginable for the Kereru and I left with a new obsession. The best bit is finding that so many other people have something to say for them and are just as captivated. Go you goo thing GO!

Later that day, I had an inspiring interview with Visual Intelligence, Dunedin tattoo and graffiti artist. His enthusiasm was contagious. I felt as though I was cheating the course a bit by going for something arguably non-wildlife related. But this is a project I feel I want to do even outside of the course down the track. The Dunedin street-art scene. Its something we are all a part of down here as you can't escape it. It’s unique. It’s inspiring. It’s a free and heartfelt gift from its artists - and they don't let one or two complaints dampen their determination to share that gift. Encouragement and appreciation and inspiration come from far and wide. We are small town but we have something big in our midst.

Alas, a brief catch-up with Richard made me face the music and choose one track to follow for our research assignment. Kereru won. It was a fairly justified choice as Kereru connections would find me a range of wildlife experts and, like I said before, I plan to pursue the street-art story even without course encouragement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home