Monday, October 09, 2006

Can you say G A M E L A N?

Basically it is an Indonesian orchestra. They vary throughout Indonesia - Balinese gamelan is very different from Javenese. Each gamelan can vary in size and instruments. I used to play it in Singapore when I was younger and only just found out Otago, let alone New Zealand, had its very own. From the moment I got in touch with Joko, the otago teacher, I've been hammering and dampening. Enough ranting - here's the goods.

Joko Susilo - 8th generation puppet master from Indonesia. Gamelan teacher at Otago University. Super hero and all-round nice guy. I am in his music performance paper this year.


Ooo and the ornamentation! It's everywhere. This is the top of the gong stand. Helps it to look as beautiful as it sounds!



Shadow puppet shows are an art in themselves, but are always played with gamelan accompaniment. As Joko is also a puppet master, he has made all his puppets.







They are made from buffalo hide and carved using hundreds of different size chisels to cast incredible shadows on the screen. Plated with gold leaf and many colours, they take a whole heap of patience to make. This one is of a forest controlled by an evil god.






This is a brother of the main character, Wayang Kulit, who ventures off to find his family a new kingdom after his brother gambles away their one.



















I wish I could name all the different instruments. There's 'gender', 'ponang', 'sarong'... (my memory puts out about here)


So how does this all relate to NHFC? Well, my slightly over-ambitious goal after this course is over is to head to Indo with my camera and laptop, enrol in an exchange programme and set about sharing the world of gamelan with whoever can be bothered watching my film. It has it all. Sounds, visuals, passion and mystery. I know I'm not exactly the first to want to shed light on gamelan, but who cares. Having something to look forward to is what matters, and those butterflies in my stomach when I think about it are a nice distraction from those knots of stress.

3 Comments:

At 7:53 pm, Blogger Bojun Bjorkman-Chiswell said...

hi there,
lu i had no idea you were a talented musician! what a thrill, pics looked awesome, wish i could have been there to watch...instead i was having a ball doing homework all weekend :( look forward to the gamelan doco!

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Kat Baulu said...

Wow wow wow - so beautiful, great pics, wish I could have heard you in action!

 
At 6:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to read about the trip and the playing in the band at Christchurch, it sounded good fun after so much practice - Love Mum

 

Post a Comment

<< Home