Sunday, September 10, 2006


Otago University, Dunedin, New Zealand. Where all your natural history filmmaking and communication dreams begin.

WARNING: the following post is intended to answer comments posted recently enquiring about what this course looks for in its applicants. My apologises for its highly formal approach

Before applying for this course, I was studying for a BSc majoring in Ecology. I also studied for a BA majoring in Design Studies and found out, along with both of the Heads of Department, that they aren't exactly compatable in terms of cross-crediting or lecture timetables. But both departments helped me out alot by making 'special acceptances'. My favourite part was seeing how similar tehy both actually were, in terms of communicating idea. Ecology had the complex theories and Design helped to voice those ideas. Design and Environment was extremely applicable and I found the readings to be something I wish Ecology would look into to help push some of their points.

Anyway, I don't wan to get too distracted from the point of this post. I found out about the course in my 1st year of studying in 2003 and got in touch with Lloyd Davis via email to see if I was on the right track for applying in the future. He recommended I do a couple of Film and Media Studies papers. So now Film and Media Studies is my minor for my BA simply because I fell in love with it. Its nothing to do with practical work at all, it is simply the concepts that underpin everything to do with film and media (e.g. the political economic approach to mass media). It was a huge eye opener in terms of understanding the issues I would face if I got into filmmaking.

Mark McGuire from the Design Department used to be a huge part of this course and was very encouraging when I spoke to him about applying, saying that my design background would give me an extra something to offer for the course. Photography, painting, dancing, etc. are all just as creative and prove that your mind can think outside the square of science. Yet the pre-requisit of a science degree guarenteed that all applicants had at least some understanding of how to be objective when necessary.

If you are hoping to apply for this course all I can say is that your passion and determination will be the most valuabe things to tap into. Don't forget work experience is a massive bonus (from scientific field research to media related jobs). Check out the courses website and maybe send an email to one of the coordinators to see if you are on the right track in terms of what they are looking for, especially since they are just as human as the rest of us and are still learning what works best.

All the best and good luck! I feel everyone can have something to offer to the world of natural history filmmaking.

1 Comments:

At 11:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo!
Totally didn't realise you had the whole blog thing going on. You've been holding out! I came back from the Mothras and thought I'd explore my postgrad options some more. So, here I am, nearly 2 hours and a whole lotta blog later! Highlight was definately the poolhouse story, forgotten until now. Keep up the good work, it's an entertaining read!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home